Friday, April 30, 2010

Owl Canvas

I retook this pic outside since the orignal pic I took did not show the true colors. This is so hard to photograph. The outside pic is closer to the true colors of the canvas.

Below is the original pic I took - it was night so I had to use my light box.



Jin on the Cricut MB inspired me to get the canvas out and get to painting. I used freezer paper for my template (I don't have any contact paper.) The paint is acrylic (Daler Rowney and Amsterdam).


I am not a painter. I have taken 1 paint class and I am planning to take another one in June (wahhoooo!)


Basically, I painted the background (I used a bristle brush not foam), then I cut out the template, placed it on the canvas and held down the edges as I painted. It worked out better than I ever imagined it would. It is not perfect, this is only my 2nd canvas to paint, so I am hoping to get better and better at this.


The canvas is 11x14 and the owl was cut at 10". I still need to cut out and paint the tree branch for the owl to stand on but that is not happening tonight. For some reason, I was not able to get a good pic...I am off to see if I can do better with that.


There are things I would have done differently now that it is finished but I think this was a great experience. I love painting!!!


The kids loved watching me do this today (all afternoon actually!) At 7:30pm I realized I needed pink acrylic paint - so we made a run to Hobby Lobby just before they closed. I picked the kids up a canvas as a surprise - maybe I will pull them out tomorow when the storms roll through.

1 comment:

Audrey Frelx said...

Coulda fooled me, that's a great painting job!!! I'm inspired to try some painting myself!